Product Code #156-D30
Periphyton are microorganisms growing on submerged surfaces and are a good indication of comparative water quality. However, they can be difficult to collect due to the lack of natural substrates. We’re proud to state that Wildco® developed this floating artificial substrate sampler specifically for the EPA. When placed at any depth in a stream, reservoir or lake and secured with a line and anchor (not included), algae grows on the glass slides. Remove the slides after 2 weeks and examine the algae, zebra mussels and other growth under a microscope for identification and counting.
• Self-righting yet rugged. Remains in position due to the current deflector which resists action of waves
• Low profile
• Stainless steel wire frame holds slide tray. Fastens at three points for secure anchorage.
• Two floats attach to the ends of the frame and are held by locking rings so the sampler can float.
• One-piece plastic slide tray holds 16 glass microscope slides that rest just below the surface: 25 x 76 mm (1 x 3”) Important! 25 x 75 mm slides are too small and will not work.
• Two locking plates on each tray allow loading in the lab, then transporting. Plates snap in and out of the frame without tools.
• Overall dimensions: 12 x 8 x 6-1/2”
• Meets EPA recommendations (Version # 2, Ohio)